Sunday, April 13, 2008

Finding the Gems

I'm a YouTube Geek.

I don't upload videos, and I don't log in to see the latest upload from some college dweeb complaining that his dweeb roommate didn't pick his socks off the kitchen counter. I know many people blog via video, but I am enjoying my tiny niche here in the old-fashioned way (well, sort of old fashioned).

But what I see in YouTube is a forum for the talented - teenage kids, little kids, mothers, fathers, and yes, even those college dweebs, who spend hours practicing their guitars, pianos, violins and kazoos, and just oozing talent.

Some of them get their 5 minutes of fame on some show, like Ellen or Oprah, which are uploaded to YouTube for people like me to see. But most of these videos have been made with a single webcam or some other kind of miscellaneous home equipment. Some go to the trouble of a little production. Some of it is terrible, but every once in a while you find a gem.

I found funtwo's video some time ago. There was lots of buzz about funtwo at the time - was he a faker or was he for real. After all, how could anyone possibly play like this? Eventually the mystery was solved, and Jeong-Hyun Lim's identity was "discovered". He is indeed real.

And modest too. Jeong-Hyun is quoted in an article in the New York Times, "Some said my vibrato is quite sloppy, and I agree that so these days I’m doing my best to improve my vibrato skill."

By the way, he's had over 41 million views. With those kind of numbers, it's quite possible that you've already stumbled on this video. And if that's the case, I invite you to watch again.



Contributed by Jamie Naessens

No comments:

Post a Comment