Monday, March 24, 2008

Tropical Strings for a Snowy March

I'm a little bitter right now. I believe this is the end of March, right? So is it right that yet again, we wake up to sub-zero weather (-11C/12F) this morning, and had to brush the snow off the car, knowing that half my family is busy vacationing in Hawaii.

But really, I know Spring is around the corner. So to give it a little nudge, I thought I'd bring you a traditional and very underrated instrument, the ukelele. Now don't start rolling your eyes... I'm not going to be doing a Don Ho thing here. Bear with me...

Jake Shimabukuro
Jake Shimabukuro, plays "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", showing us exactly what this tiny 4-string instrument is capable of:


'Iz' Israel Kamakawiwo Ole
Iz does an amazing rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World" with his beautiful voice and simple ukelele chords. This was recorded in one take, one night and on the spur of the moment. Although he passed away more than 10 years ago, he became a legend in Hawaii. Here you'll see why.

And while watching the video, we can dream of rainbows and of Spring. I hear it's coming soon.



Contributed by Jamie Naessens

No comments:

Post a Comment